Sunday, April 19, 2009

Why my Child?

This is the first subject we are "tackling" in our Wonderfully Made Moms group.

Oh does this open up a door that I have realized I never really closed.

I have asked God this question over and over. When I see other children play. Or when I see a little girl that is Kaylee's age smiling at her mom, talking with her. Or when I see other families who don't know how good they have it when their child doesn't have a tantrum when asked to do a simple thing like "get your shoes".

So why my child? Is there satisfactory answer for that? I am still thinking on this answer and I will share it in my next post.

So how about you? How did you deal with this question? I would love to hear...

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...well I only have a few minutes to write what would take a book to answer, but here it goes. When I look at it from a biomedical perspective I can see that there was little avoiding it. Family history of autism or related disorders on just about every branch of our family tree coupled with some environmental assaults convince me it's amazing he has done as well as he's done. I view these factors as results of the fall, so I don't spend a lot of time directing the "why my child?" questions to God. From a spiritual perspective I can totally see the "why's" -- God has used Ryne to change so many people. My husband and I have become more trusting in God, more thankful, more understanding, more determined, and now through RDI we're just becoming better parents. Ryne's sisters have developed a compassion and understanding that few kids their age display. Ryne has had a dramatic effect on many of the therapists and professionals he's encountered over the years. Our family, friends, and church family have all been encouraged by following us through our autism adventure. So while the adventure is not always fun and certainly not easy, I have gradually learned to see all the blessings that has resulted.

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kellie, I think thats a great example of Romans 8:28, all things work together for good for those that love God...

    I always love what you share :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biomedical and genetic issues aside, I keep coming back to this. Our culture is moving at such a frantic pace that we are losing the ability to be still and know. Perhaps, the timing of this epidemic, for that is what I think it is, is God's way of telling us to SLOW DOWN. For me personally, I think God saw it as an opportunity to guide me into a relationship with him. I did not NEED God until autism entered my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. Thank you for sharing, Mrs. Glaser.

    ReplyDelete