Thursday, December 4, 2008

Update for 12/3/08

Recently, I have been espousing how well Kaylee has been responding to the introduction of the NIDS Protocol, and it is true, but we have had some setbacks lately, which have been very discouraging, but I am determined to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth on this blog!

While it is true that we have seen gains both cognitively and medically, lately Kaylee has been getting difficult again, with many crying spells and difficulty transitioning again. Also, Kaylee has been up at night coughing again with a runny nose for just over a week.

So while the other night I was beside myself with grief thinking we would never figure things out, I was ready to throw in the towel and accept defeat. However, once the clouds cleared up I realized these allergies may be the reason for the behavioral backslide.

Here is my theory: I believe that Kaylee's allergies are starting to surface because of the treatment. In September when we traveled to NY to see Dr. Russell, her bloodwork showed that she had definite environmental allergies but we never saw any signs of them. We were told it was because her immune system was so overtaxed that it couldn't respond with any allergic reactions. It could be that her immune system has had help with her viral infection that now it can attend to the allergies...and I have noticed that Kaylee did start these allergies again when we stopped giving her Zyrtec.

Next week I will be speaking again with Dr. Russell, in the meantime I will be doing a bit of an "experiment" to see if Kaylee's behavior and allergies get better on the Zyrtec. Also, it is possible that we will be entering another phase of the protocol, which is starting Kaylee on a low-dose SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor...say that 3 times fast!) to restore bloodflow and activity to specific areas to her brain. I explained that earlier in my blog with in this post The NIDS Protocol.

I will be explaining more about NIDS in weeks to come because I haven't really heard a thing about it anywhere! It deserves a harder look from people because it has worked for many children. We need to do everything we can to help our kids, and fast. Whatever it takes, we can't just ignore the ever growing need to address the ever growing population of children with "Autism".

God be with you until next time!

4 comments:

  1. The last several years we have seen regression in our son this time of the year. I was always baffled by it. So far we haven't seen anything yet, so I'm praying this year it won't happen. We've made quite a few changes in his biomedical program since last year, so maybe something is working. : )

    As far as the links: Type what you want to make into a link. For example, say you want "NIDS" to link to a website. After you've typed "NIDS" open in another window the website, copy the web address and then go back to the post you're working on. Highlight "NIDS" and then click on the "insert link" button. It will open a bar where you can type in your link. Paste the link you already copied right over that and click OK. "NIDS" will now be highlighted or underlined depending on your template and when you click on it (after it's been posted, and also I think in the preview) it should switch you to the link. Hope that helps!

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kellie! I never would have known how to do that! Now I am going to fix things. :)

    Why do you think our kiddos regress this time of year? Now that I think about it, this happened last year at this time too. Maybe sickness? Not enough sunlight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why. I've heard people on my biomed groups talk about seasonal affective disorder, and that there might be some underlying issues there. We're seeing our doctor in a couple of weeks, and I plan to ask her about it.

    Glad you figured out the links. I can't believe I actually gave helpful technical advice - certainly not one of my strengths. : )

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Guys,

    Both my kids have always gotten sick this time of year, and Nathan only has been dx with "allergies" seasonal at that. However, last year was the first year that neither my kids (nor me) were sick over the holidays. I think it was the first time since Mason was born! The difference in our lives at that time is that we were on that sugar free and grain free diet until right before Thanksgiving. We then went to see Dr. Croley who treated them for the missing enzymes and then the food sensitivities. Since then, my kids have not gotten that sick anymore. They haven't been 100%, in fact Nathan was sick a couple weeks ago, but amazingly, Mason never came down with it. Knock on wood, he has been fine so far this Fall. Our diet is totally not as healthy as it was last Fall. I will say that at the first sign of nasal drainage or tickly throat, I start giving them 1tsp of elderberry juice concentrate each day. I also give 1tsp of colloidal silver. Both of these help to boost the body's immune system. I would use 1/2 this amount for Kaylee since she is much younger, if you would like to try it. Another big booster is vitamin D which we are lacking this time of year. Be sure to seek a D.C.'s advice as to how much though. It can be good to supplement all of the time during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete