Thursday, January 15, 2009

Another Piece of the Puzzle

I have been experiencing too many problems with Kaylee and I knew something has been wrong. She had recently begun taking Singulair for allergies and Lexapro to help restore blood flow in the brain. But Kaylee became hyperactive, excessively irritable (notice I said excessive, she usually has irritability anyways), and I couldn't reach anyone to find out what to do because of the holidays! First I stopped giving Kaylee the Lexapro, and the problems persisted so I discontinued the Singulair.

I just knew something still wasn't right but I couldn't put my finger on it, so to speak. Three days after we stopped the Singulair, Kaylee had hives.

Day after day this kept happening, each day getting worse, with Kaylee's hives getting bigger and her behavior getting worse. She started to get diarrhea and her nose kept on dripping and she was not sick. When I thought about it, I noticed a pattern emerging: it was happening after certain meals...Kaylee never displayed any with foods before, but now everytime she eats anything with strawberries she has an allergic response.

Now that Kaylee's immune system isn't needing to address her viral and yeast issues because of the medications she is on, her allergies are flaring up.

Right now I am scaring myself a bit, because I am wondering if Kaylee needs the Elimination Diet to identify any other possible triggers. Our number one priority in the NIDS Protocol is to cool down the immune system, and if the foods she is eating are causing an immune response, we have to find a way to decrease it. If her immune system continues to act up, and even more difficult, I believe that she may need the Rotation Diet to prevent any new allergies to food.

Maybe I will make a post explaining more about food allergies and more about the basics of immune system function soon. I need to brush up on some of it myself. I believe it is extremely important to understand the immune system if you have a child with autism because it is a key issue, if not one of the most imporant one.

If you want to do some research into food allergies yourself, check out the book Is This Your Child by Dr. Doris Rapp.

In the mean time, may God bless you richly with His wisdom! (James 1:5)
-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment