Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Crabby Kaylee :(

Today is day 8 for Kaylee on Valtrex (an antiviral that specifically addresses the Herpes family of viruses) and she is crabby! I am not totally sure if it is "die-off" but Dr. Russell told me if she would have a die-off reaction it would be at 7-10 days.

Kaylee just doesn't seem like she feels well, and she is getting about 9 hours of sleep a day when I believe she needs at least 12 hours of sleep a day. Last night she slept in our room in her little bed and she kept waking up crying saying in her high pitched voice, "No! Want momma!" I know something is wrong with Kaylee when her voice is at "higher notes", if that makes sense. Her voice is high pitched when she is upset and not feeling well.

Not only are her sleep issues exacerbated, but she "melts down" at the slightest problems or when she is told "no" about anything. It is very tiring emotionally.

I just don't know if it's die off or if she is just not sleeping well, everything is a mystery with autism. I can have a great week and then 12 bad ones with her with no understanding of why.

Anyway, earlier in my blog I shared that Kaylee had a very high HHV-6 IgG titer and here is some info about it if your are interested:

HHV-6 stands for Human Herpes Virus 6 and it causes roseola in children and can be latent and dormant in adults for many years.

HHV-6 is also known to infect and destroy the cells that produce myelin, the fatty coating that surrounds and protects nerve cells. Additionally, the virus demonstrates the ability to cause disruption of the normal functioning of the human immune system.

According to Dr. Michael Goldberg, the founder of the NIDS Protocol, studies have also implicated the temporal lobes in the pathogenesis of autism, and Herpes viruses in humans has long been known to prefer temporal lobe and limbic sites. The NIDS doctors don't believe that autism is caused by a Herpes infection in the brain, but it may contribute to it's manifestation.

Scary!! It makes me so glad we are doing this intervention. I am so tired of her not feeling well or sleeping well. I am praying in faith knowing that God will answer my calls to Him to show us an answer and help us. He is our very present help. His promises always make me smile, even deep down in my soul. It makes me think of this verse:

From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD'S name is to be praised. Psalm 113:3

No comments:

Post a Comment