Monday, September 15, 2008

Walking into hope


(Picture is the Black River next to the NNY Autism Center)

Well, it was a week ago we returned from New York after our appointment with Dr. Russell at the NNY Autism Center.

I must say that there is something about having a child with autism that no one else can understand unless they deal with the same struggles, and that is the "shame" we feel when our child acts up or just can't deal with changes or not "getting their way". It hurts when people give you looks at the store...when your child doesn't act like the other kids who can respond when a stranger asks "how old are you" and your child looks at them like they said "ooga booga boo!".

There is something comforting about going somewhere where people accept and understand your child and their limitations. It was wonderful for me to go to a place where I felt like I was walking into hope. I have something I haven't had for a long time: hope.

It's just a glimmer right now. I won't let it burst forth like it wants too. But I am carefully letting a little hope shine on my life right now, and that makes all the difference in my attitude.

With hope, I can deal with just one more tantrum, one more day of autism at a time when I am thinking to myself that this won't last forever, Kaylee will get better someday.

But I digress...I was feeling good when we got to the center, because we would be talking to someone who has been there, and he will help us with our child! (Dr. Russell has a son with autism who has responded greatly to the NIDS protocol. He is mainstreamed and seems to have lost his diagnosis, I believe.)

I was expecting to see some sort of a sterile medical building but I was surprised to see that the autism center was a humble home right on the Black River. Everyone at the office was so kind and patient and it was a relief to me.

After talking to Dan and I, Dr. Russell looked at Kaylee's labs and history and decided that Kaylee was a good candidate for the NIDS Protocol and because of her high HHV-6 titers and other things(more info about this on the next post) he wanted to start Kaylee on an antiviral (Valtrex). He said he expected a "die-off" reaction in 7-10 days.

I will be sharing more soon...
-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment