Thursday, March 19, 2009

IEP Day

Today, in about an hour, is Kaylee's IEP(Individualized Education Plan). I am hoping and praying that I have wisdom and kindness while working with Kaylee's IEP team. I have been upset lately after doing some of my own research of the FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education) Act. Kaylee is not getting an appropriate education by any means. Her school's main objective (as evidenced by her last IEP) is to simply "mainstream" her so she fits in. She gets the bare minimum in services.

Well, again, I trust that my Father will give me wisdom and words so we can help Kaylee be an independent, useful lady who participates and contributes to society.

I will update soon!

4 comments:

  1. That is an awfully broad objective . . . do they have it broken down in any way????? Goodness, in order to "fit in", a child needs to pay attention to the teacher's words and nonverbals, pay attention to the same for her peers, reference them for a variety of things (information, resolve uncertainty, permission, etc.), appraise what every one is doing and decide her options, etc.

    Looking forward to your update . . . Tammy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just oversimplifying their goal for her. Kaylee has NO academic goals at all because she is so above her peers (reading, knowing colors, alphabet, counting, etc) but her goals are more about listening to directions. I was mostly concerned she wasn't getting enough therapeutic intervention in school.
    Some of her goals involve following 2 step directions and other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you today Jen and hoping that your meeting went well!

    ReplyDelete