Friday, March 20, 2009

What I have learned about IEP's

For any of the other mom's out there who might benefit from this information about IEP meetings:

1. No matter what you say or request, the "professionals" have made their decision about what your child needs and they will not change it until they deem so...

2. If you have an extra request that costs them extra $$ you better have another "professional" opinion to back you up (such as a doctor, therapist) and even then you should still have a lawyer.

With all of that being said, I am still very thankful that Kaylee has a chance to be with teachers who care about her and understand her disability. I am grateful for a school system that even cares at all about my child with special needs and continues to accomodate her...

I have an aunt who is mentally disabled and years ago they just stopped her schooling because they deemed her incompetent. She didn't even get past eighth grade.

In another country my child would be forgotten and I am grateful for the resources God has provided for her, even if I feel they are not enough.

Dan and I decided that we are not going to "fight the system", but work as hard as we can with her at home and we hope that her getting better physically will be the biggest most worthwhile action we take on Kaylee's road to recovery.

Kaylee's teachers told Dan and I at the meeting that they were impressed with how well Kaylee is improving, and so quickly. As I mentioned before, once we started the NIDS Protocol, Kaylee flew through her IEP goals and objectives in just over 2 months. That was after having them for 6 months prior. Things seem to be clicking for her now.

So for now, I am thankful and not at all angry about not getting what I wanted for her. I believe that God knows exactly what Kaylee needs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen!
    Good for you! I went through the same thing 24 years ago. We, too, decided not to fight the system, but to do what we felt was best for Trent and was what God wanted us to do. To so many of the professionals, it is book learning and while that may a good thing, there is nothing like experience and good old mommy sense. You are doing a great job. Have a good day!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete